Estate History (1700-1956)
The SCHAFLERHOF was built under Esterhazy rule (from 1676) around 1700 for the purpose of sheep farming as a part of the nearby Deutschkreutz castle. Originally, Deutschkreutz Castle was the political and cultural seat of the Nadasdy dynasty until the Esterhazy family took over both the castle and the reign to expand it to an agricultural estate in 1671.
Around 1800, the sheep farming was at its peaks under Esterhazy rule before going down in the middle of the 19thcentury. As a consequence, the SCHAFLERHOF was transformed to meet the requirements of cattle and dairy farming. Up to the Second World War and during the Soviet occupation, the estate was kept in operation. At that time, families from Deutschkreutz lived there. After the withdrawal of the troops, the property was exposed to decay.
1957 the estate was purchased by the municipal government of Deutschkreutz off the Esterhazy family who in turn sold it to the famous Austrian artist Professor Anton Lehmden in 1966. Eventually, the Reisner-IGLER family bought the property in 2004. From 2005 the family started to plan maintenance, renovation and reconstruction measures were implemented in the following years (2006-2008) and thus, the revitalization of the right wing of the SCHAFLERHOF, which was significantly worse off, as the Dependance of the HANS-IGLER Winery took place.
After the work-intensive architectural expansion and redesign of both the degustation and sales rooms and the reconstruction of the roof as true to the original as possible by means of theZollinger Lamella Construction by architect DI Anton Mayerhofer, the official opening took place in 2009. Today, the historical building ranks among Blaufränkischland’s top sights.
Events & (Business)Galas (2010 - to date)
Since then, the SCHAFLERHOF, which established itself in a short period of time, serves not only as salesrooms but also as storage for more than 600 barrels. Moreover, it offers a unique atmosphere for wine degustations, either with or without food, wine menus and serves as event location in modern architecture and historic ambience for up to 70 people.
Besides, the entire SCHAFLERHOF including the terrace and outside facilities is available for renting for seminars, product presentations or as a destination for a day trip. The wine degustations can be adapted individually and are interesting for both wine experts as well as people who are inexperienced in the world of wines. Tours and degustations can be done in English as well. The cellar of the estate is being used as VULCANO storage, bearing all vintages of the top Cuvée, starting 1988.